Check for Water Service Line Leaks
- Do not use any water in the house.
- Open lid on meter (be careful because there are wires that attach lid to meter).
- Watch the star or dials on meter for approximately one minute.
- If any of the dials move this would indicate a leak. Proceed to shut-off main shutoff valve in house.
- Check the meter again. If dials continue to move, this would indicate a leak between the meter and the house. The service line runs from the meter to the house and it is the customer’s responsibility to repair.
Checking For Toilet Leaks
- Take the lid off of the tank.
- Put a colored bowl cleaner in the tank.
- If the colored bowl cleaner comes down into the bowl, that means the seal in the commode is leaking.
- Also check and make sure that when the tank is full the level of water is approximately one inch below overflow.